This has been a long time coming. Really only 6 months, but it took me a bit to get my site up, finalize a theme that looks good online and decent on mobile and then document the journey. So, here we are. This is a recap of a presentation I gave at Philly Code Camp 2011.2 (Oct 2011).
In order to use any of the downloads provided here, you will need get Windows 8 installed. I would suggest the following:
- Download the Windows 8 preview. At the time of writing, the current preview is a Developer Preview. However, there will be an updated release at the end of February.
- Read Scott Hanselman’s posting on how to install & boot Windows 8 from a VHD (Virtual Hard Disk). This is what I am currently doing on my laptop. If you have a spare machine around, you could just install directly.
- Download the zip file PhillyCC_Oct2011_SlideApp. This is a metro style app I put together to simulate power point and show off the slide control. Get this running in Visual Studio 11.
- Download the zip file PhillyCC_Oct2011_SimpleBlogReader. This is the metro style app built during the presentation. In the zip file is a word document describing the steps I used during the presentation to build the app.
The above examples were actually built from SDK examples and walkthroughs from the Microsoft Windows Dev Center. I would suggest reviewing the following site for more information.
- Windows Dev Center
- Getting started with Windows Metro style app development
- Learn to build Metro style apps
- Designing Metro style apps
- Metro style app samples (SDKs)
- Channel 9 – Build 2011 videos
This should get you started. I would also suggest going to Philly .NET hands-on labs, Philly .NET monthly meetings and Philly Code Camp events to get more exposure and ask questions.
Good luck. Let me know how it goes for you.